Location: Toronto Ontario Canada
The Director of Extraction / Scientist is responsible for leading and maintaining extractions and processing for Cannabis derived products. This position involves leading a team of 40, in implementing production scale processes as per target requirements. The main processes to be developed and/or optimized are distillation, crystallization and chromatographic purification of cannabinoids. The successful candidate will be experienced with Cannabis/Hemp Extraction and embody a natural entrepreneurial mindset.
- Work with the Executives to establish strategic plan for their cannabis program and target deadlines
- Assist in design layouts of facility and procuring additional extraction & processing equipment for distillation, crystallization, purification processes with input from senior management
- Deliver best practices for production scale purification processes
- Write protocols and validations for equipment and manufacturing process
- Write batch records, SOPs and qualification documents related to manufacturing process.
- Coach and mentor production staff in operating production scale purification equipment
- Ensure that self and team are all adhering to company policies, safety standards, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP)
- Manage the development (R&D) and validation of analytical methods for new innovative products for Recreational and Medical purposes
- Develop in-process test methods
- Assess analytical technologies
- Work with a multidisciplinary team of Scientists including: Chemists, Technicians to develop methods for new innovative formulations.
- Key deliverables include: Method Development Protocols/Reports, Validation and Qualification Protocols/Report, Finished Product Specifications, summaries of experimental data, and weekly updates.
- Advise and manage formulation optimization and stability experiments, taking into account Health Canada regulations on excipients, daily tolerable dosages, ICH guidelines, Cannabis Act, and GMP scale-up where applicable.
- Provide insight on regulatory and product development pathways for commercialization
- Manage physical lab resources, allocation of space, selection and purchasing of analytical equipment needs, ordering of reagents, chemical inventory, cannabis inventory, and supply chain.
- Trend and analyze data, and automate data workflows
- Cross-functional collaboration with Formulation Scientists, R&D, Analytical Chemistry, Manufacturing, Regulatory Affairs, Clinical Affairs, Quality Assurance, Quality Control, Operational Quality, Compliance, Inventory, Procurement, Finance, and Marketing.
- Conduct continuous gap-assessment of analytical methods for past and future products
- Holds others and self-accountable for gaps in performance, is a champion of feedback
- Acts with Integrity: Demonstrates responsible, ethical and honest behaviour while consistently leading by example
- Motivates team to take timely action, resolves customer escalations in a timely manner
- Monitors progress to departmental goals with company strategy
- Sets department goals & objectives and supports direct reports with achieving results and development plans
- Encourages team to be involved in decisions, encourages talent development
- Executes the performance management cycle activities for the team
- Strong communication skills, ability to promote learning and development; can have difficult conversations
- Complies with all company policies
- PhD or MSc in chemistry, organic chemistry or biochemistry pharmaceutical formulation, physicochemical sciences or alike
- Hands-on experience in cannabis extraction with CO2 is required
- Hands-on experience in cannabis extraction with ethanol and hydrocarbon
- Prior experience with 3rd party CRO vendor management
- Strong background in analytical chemistry, formulation, small molecules, food science, veterinary, topicals, nutrition, and/or natural health products
- Familiar with developing intellectual property for patents
- Familiar with Good Manufacturing Practices, Good Production Practices, Good Documentation Practices
- Current understanding of Cannabis Act and GPPs is preferred
- Up to date knowledge of USP, EP, ICH as it pertains for method development and validation
- Publications and/or patents in the fields of organic chemistry or biochemistry would be considered assets but not mandatory
- Experience developing and optimizing crystallization methods
- Experienced practicing in an industrial chemistry environment
- Hands-on experience with cannabinoid purification
- Hands-on experience with chemical synthesis would be considered an asset
- Ability to prioritize multiple project deliverables with high attention to detail
- Proven ability to plan and organize process/product development projects
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient using MS Office software
- Familiarity with FDA and cGMP regulations
- Experience working in a cGMP or ISO regulated work environment
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply with an updated resume in MS Word Format.
Due to the volume of resumes we receive, only those applicants whose skill set match our requirements will be contacted.
All applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada for an unlimited period of time.
Details Apply Now