About Central Coast Agriculture:
Headquartered north of Santa Barbara in the heart of the Santa Ynez Valley, CCA is a company focused on utilizing science and sustainability to grow quality, modern crops. Our unmatched commitment to innovating both organic farming and modern manufacturing means our customers have access to products that exceed expectations.
We breed, grow, and cultivate the highest quality Cannabis so we can then process, manufacture, and package the highest quality single-source products on the market under our brand, Raw Garden.
We are a team of change makers, modern farmers, scientists, and business professionals focused on leading the charge for agricultural innovation.
We are on a mission to be the most trusted and loved brand in Cannabis.
About The Role:
As a Senior Bioinformaticist/Computational Biologist, you will play a highly collaborative role within a scientifically diverse R&D team. You will be the subject matter expert in genomics data, processing and analysis. You will collaborate with the Breeding, Molecular Genetics, and Chemistry teams to collect and present data in appropriate formats to achieve Team goals. This individual will be responsible for bringing improved productivity to the R&D Teams by revealing the genetic underpinnings of high-value agronomic and product profile traits.
What You'll Do
● Contribute to the ongoing bioinformatics vision along with the strategic direction of the entire Data team.
● Provide direction for bioinformatics pipeline and applications for marker development
● Work with Molecular Geneticists on applications of targeted resequencing, microarray and WGS/WES, and transcriptomics NGS platforms, including: detection of rare variants, detection of gene fusions, detection of deletions and other structural variants, quantitation of differential gene expression, genotype imputation.
● Detection of functional and/or causal variation in genes associated with Traits of Interest
● Use, extend, and where applicable, develop new pipelines for expression and genotyping data analysis
● Support Molecular Genetics and Breeding in the implementation of post-bioinformatics marker assay implementation
● Data analysis – Work closely with Breeding, Genomics, Chemistry to analyze experimental data and report out results through data visualization
● Identify and/or develop software for data mining of large datasets. These datasets will include genomic sequence information, plant phenotype, and chemical profiling data.
● Collaborate with R&D Teams on experimental design to ensure compatible data structure and adequate statistical power is employed in all studies
● Develop and draft documentations and SOPs for new processes
● Interface with several cross-functional groups within the company and through our collaborators
● Perform all other duties as assigned or inherent to the position
● Prioritize work in a fast-paced environment to limit downtime and keep operations moving.
● Ensure that safety is first priority in everything you do.
● Maintain professionalism and live CCA’s core values at all times
● Advanced degree (MS/PhD) in relevant discipline or Bachelors degree with 5+ years relevant work experience.
● A combination of relevant Computer Science and Biological Science education highly desired. Computational Biology, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Computer Science or related disciplines
● Experience with genomic datasets is required: Genotyping imputation, Genome Wide Association Studies, annotation databases, as well as the ability to handle very large bioinformatics datasets and develop automated workflows
● Project management experience; able to take a project from start to finish with minimal supervision
● Strong analytical skills. Demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy.
● Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and prioritize work while multitasking.
● Demonstrate motivation and a good work ethic under minimal supervision.
● Constantly questioning the way things are done in a constructive manner and thrives on change that improves results.
● Effective leadership and strategic influencing skills.
● Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at one time.
External Company URL: https://www.ccagriculture.com/