Our client, a publicly traded manufacturer of legal cannabis products operating in accordance with The Cannabis Act (C45), is in need of experienced Corporate Counsel to join their company. As Corporate Counsel, you will advise on all aspects of the businesses.
As a subject matter expert in the field of Canadian corporate law, provide internal legal advice to the Board, Executive Leadership Team and individual managers consistent with professional standards of practice and ethical values.
- Review issues referred by internal staff and Board members on a broad range of topics and situations requiring the application and interpretation of provincial and federal laws affecting business operation such as business and partnership agreements, contracts, licenses, and trademark infringements;researching facts, circumstances and case law;
- Identify potential legal risks, consult with internal stakeholders to explore the impacts, and develop and implement solutions to mitigate risks;
- Respond to legal notices and inquiries;
- Manage lawsuits or other legal actions and represent the company’s interests in court or other legal proceedings;
- Draft legal documents such as contracts and offers of settlement; provide notary services as required;
- Select external counsel specializing in areas of legal practice, oversee the provision and quality of services by external providers and monitor costs.
- Build and maintain business relationships with all points of internal contact to engender trust and promote the application of risk management practices organization wide.
- Pursue opportunities to build networks with external contacts in other organizations, government agencies and professional associations
- Maintain up to date knowledge on governance and legislative trends, case law, and continuing best practices in all areas of job operation through literature searches, attendance at conferences and workshops, continuing education initiatives and industry contacts.
- Conduct legal due diligence and working closely with the deal team in respect of merger, acquisition, and partnership transactions.
- Provide securities law advice with respect to public company matters and draft various securities law related documents