Right now is a great time to get into the Cannabis industry! Come join our network!
The Head Grower plans and oversees the planting, cultivation and harvesting of all produce and organic produce commodities grown. The Head Grower is a critical position that provides assistance and leadership. The Head Grower will tour the greenhouses often to check the health of plants and watch for signs of damage from human contact, structural contact, disease or pests. If pests or disease are found, the Head Grower must decide on the action to be taken. When pesticides or chemicals are used, the manager has the responsibility to oversee their use and to be certain they are disposed of properly. The Head Grower shall keep records of the day-to-day operations and coordinate labor requirements with the Greenhouse Labor Supervisor and Human Resources as required
The Head Grower reports to the Greenhouse Manager who will effectively manage the activities of all Growers, planning projects, scheduling work and completing tasks within specified timelines and on budget. The Head Grower will also undertake the research and analysis of horticultural problems, providing advanced technical support to all greenhouse personnel and management. Other duties will be assigned as necessary.
Do you have what it takes?
- Provide advanced technical guidance to Greenhouse personnel in the proper maintenance and care of all produce and organic produce grown by Lakeside Produce.
- Assist in the development and implementation of new production plans.
- Observe that Work Safe Practices are being followed.
- Ensure all company, client, and project policies, procedures, standards, etc., are adhered to.
- Provide appropriate levels of motivation for staff.
- Resolve labor issues and use appropriate levels of corrective actions.
- Interpret policies as required.
- Coordinate and participate in the planning and care of Greenhouse production.
- Together with the Greenhouse Labor Supervisor: plan, coordinate and/or supervise activities of all company personnel on assigned project(s).
- Ensure all company, food safety, client, and project policies, procedures, standards, etc., are adhered to.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent.
- Diploma and/or bachelor’s degree in Botany / Horticulture / Agriculture.
- Good observation skills.
- Some background in science and basic mathematical skills.
- Highly effective negotiation, diplomatic, and conflict resolutions skills.
- Able to effectively communicate with all types of staff, including laborer’s, technical, professional, and upper management.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with business units, corporate departments, key managers, and other stakeholders.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft computer software (e.g. Excel, Word, etc.) and email and a willingness to learn
- First Aid skills and/or certificates are considered assets.
- Flexibility to adjust to shifting priorities and deadlines.
- 2 years of direct work experience in horticulture.
- A solid understanding of horticultural techniques.
- Strong management, delegation, planning and leadership skills.
- Effectiveness in safety and productivity.
- Knowledge of local, provincial and federal workplace compliance regulations, ordinances and legislation.
- Commitment to working in a team environment, with established team building abilities.
- Strong communication, leadership, integration, problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to participate in continuous improvement processes.
- Ability to follow safe procedures for use of fertilizers, pesticides, fungicides and herbicides.
If you think this is you please join our network today for future opportunities!