This recruitment is for two Analyst I/II positions in the Revenue Management division of the City’s Finance Department. One Analyst I/II position is in the Revenue Compliance and Monitoring team and one Analyst I/II position is an overstrength-to-permanent position in the Accounts Receivable team. More information on each position and essential duties is detailed below.
*/Analyst I/II - Revenue Compliance and Monitoring Team:/*
The Revenue Compliance and Monitoring team is responsible for auditing, analyzing, monitoring, reporting, and maintaining compliance of a portfolio in excess of $500 million. The team’s revenue assigned sources includes, but are not limited to, Sales and Use Taxes, Hotel Taxes and Fees, Utility Taxes, Real Estate Transfer Taxes, Franchise Fees, and Cannabis Business Taxes. This Analyst will report to the team’s Senior Analyst with direction provided by both the team’s Senior Analyst and Program Manager.
The essential duties of the Revenue Compliance and Monitoring team Analyst I/II position include:
• Real Property Conveyance and Transfer Tax tracking, monitoring, compliance.
• Cardroom Tax tracking, monitoring, and compliance.
• Utility Users Tax, Telecommunication Users Tax, and Telephone Line Tax tracking, monitoring, and compliance.
• Participated in complex compliance reviews and financial audits for various tax and fee programs.
• Prepare clear and concise reports of audit findings and outcomes.
• Present reports to managerial staff and businesses/taxpayers under review.
• Research local, state, and federal legislative updates related to assigned tax and fee programs and perform public outreach for ordinance changes.
• Process and research claims for Conveyance Tax and Transfer Tax refunds.
• Participate in joint audits of cannabis businesses with team Accountants.
• Establish and maintain professional and productive working relationships with City taxpayers in area of responsibility.
• Work with the City’s Revenue Enhancement vendor for audits, forecasting, and legislative review.
• Exercise judgment and initiative in managing work assignments and when working in a team setting.
*/Overstrength Analyst I/II – Accounts Receivable Team:/*
The Accounts Receivable team is the City’s primary debt collection and receivable management unit. In FY 2019-20, the team’s centralized billing system, RevQ, issued approximately 15,000 invoices for approximately $260 million in City revenues. Of the $260 million invoiced, there is approximately $4.3 million that remains unpaid which the Accounts Receivable team is actively collecting to secure monies owed to the City and reduce the City’s outstanding receivable balance. This position will provide direct support for the RevQ system and will lead the RevQ Administrative team to ensure the day-to-day operation of the system, provide user support, assist in the setup of new invoicing programs, comprise analytical reports, and supervise a Senior Office Specialist. This Analyst will report to the team’s Senior Investigator Collector with direction provided by both the team’s Senior Investigator Collector and Program Manager.The overstrength Analyst position is funded through June 30, 2021 and pending budget approval this position is likely to become permanent in July 2021.
The essential duties of the Accounts Receivable team Analyst I/II position include:
• Coordinate, support, and serve as a resource to all City departments for RevQ functions, issues, and inquires.
• Provide supervision to the Senior Office Specialist serving as the division’s legal and bankruptcy desk.
• Coordinate with IT on software updates and system interface issues.
• Create new user accounts and passwords (based on their roles), serve as administrator for locked out or expired/inactive password resets.
• Analyze, troubleshoot, and test workflows and setup collector worklists.
• Maintain, create, and update templates, invoices, letters and correspondences, and forms for all departments.
• Develop RevQ procedures, training materials, and detailed instructions for departments to utilize for all facets of user needs.
• Assist all City departments with trainings and one-on-one user training (as needed).
• Analyze and test application software updates and enhancements in a test environment prior to live roll-out.
• Review the integrity of data interfacing into RevQ from proprietary departmental systems.
• Create ad hoc queries, reports, and perform receivable analysis as needed.
• Work with the Revenue Compliance and Monitoring Senior Analyst as necessary for ad-hoc financial analysis and reporting.
• Generate quarterly financial, receivable, and/or system reports on invoicing levels, payments, and collections.
• Continuous monitoring of the RevQ application, mitigate issues, identify issues for escalation.
• Work with the City’s Information Technology Department and the RevQ system vendor (Ontario Systems) on escalated items.
• Coordinate with the Treasury Division’s Payment Processing team to ensure accurate posting of inhouse, lock box (bank received), and online payments.
_*Covid-19 Remote Work*_
Please be aware that as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Analyst I/II will most likely be expected to work remotely at least some, if not all, of the time until further notice. If this is required, the Analyst I/II will be assigned a laptop by the City with all software and software access required to perform the assigned duties. The Analyst I/II will be required to have/provide their own internet connectivity and other requirements as specified in the City’s Remote Access Policy to be able to fully perform their responsibilities remotely in accordance with the City’s Policy Manual, Section 1.7.3 Remote Access, at https://www.sanJoséca.gov/your-government/city-manager/employee-relations/city-policy-manual.
The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Analyst I/II classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
Analyst I: $71,219.20 - $86,590.40
Analyst II: $77,729.60 - $94,452.80
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
/Education and Experience/
Analyst I: A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university.
Analyst II: A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university AND two (2) years of increasingly responsible professional staff analytic or administrative experience conducting studies, organizing and analyzing data, and preparing reports, recommendations, or conclusions for a functional area in budget, finance, grant administration, organizational analysis, general administration, or human resources.
/Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application./
The ideal Analyst I/II candidates for these positions will possess the following competencies and be able to expand on and provide examples of these competencies from their employment history. The desirable competencies for this position include:
/Job Expertise/– Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
/Communication Skills/– Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
/Computer Skills/– Experienced with common business computer applications including, but not limited to, MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and MS Excel.
/Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills/– Develops effective relationships with co-workers and
supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
/Analytical Thinking/– Approaching a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, and sequential approach.
/Collaboration/– Develops networks and builds alliances; engages in cross-functional activities.
/Continuous Improvement/– Actively identifies new areas for learning and regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities.
/Customer Service/– Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customer needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
/Decision Making/– Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions.
/Flexibility/– Makes effective decisions and achieves desired results in the midst of major changes in responsibilities, work processes, timeframes, performance expectations, organizational culture, or work environment.
/Problem Solving/– Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
/Reliability/– Completes quality work assignments in a timely and efficient manner; fulfills responsibilities and maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the job specific questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews/./
You will be prompted to answer the following job specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response. Please note that applications are currently*/not/*accepted through CalOpps or any other third-party job board application system. To apply, applicants must complete an application via the City of San Jose’s website atwww.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers.
/Please note: You must answer all applicable job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration. In addition, if your answer(s) include “See Resume” (or alike) your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration./
If you’re interest in the Revenue Compliance and Monitoring Analyst position only, please answer questions 1-5. If you’re interested in the Accounts Receivable Analyst position only, please answer questions 1-2 and 5-7. If you’re interested in both positions, please answer all questions.
1. Do you have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university? If so, list the college or university, type of degree, and field of study.
2. Please indicate the position you are interested in: Revenue Compliance and Monitoring Analyst, Accounts Receivable Analyst, or both.
3. Do you have experience conducting financial audits or compliance reviews? If so, describe your experience.
4. Have you ever worked in a fast-paced environment where you’ve had to juggle multiple assignments and/or conflicting deliverable deadlines? If you have, please explain.
5. Do you have experience performing data analysis or forecasting? If so, describe your experience.
6. Do you have experience in system or application related support or administration? If so, please identify which applications your supported and elaborate on your experience.
7. Have you ever worked on application related enhancements or upgrades where you’ve maintained and/or tested system functionality? If so, please provide an example of your experience.
You must answer all job specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Michelle Harrison email@example.com
**Job:** **Accounting, Fiscal and Budget*
**Title:** *Analyst I/II (Revenue Compliance and Monitoring Team) and Overstrength Analyst I/II (Accounts Receivable Team) – Department of Finance, Revenue Management*
**Requisition ID:** *2100235*