Our client a cannabis retailer with multiple locations in the Santa Barbara/Los Angeles area is seeking a Purchasing Manager (retail) to join their team. The Purchasing Manager is someone who is highly detailed, organized, can drive results and is familiar with inventory and supply chain processes.
The Retail Purchasing Manager is responsible for the oversight of procurement of all retail merchandise for all dispensary and delivery service locations across California, focusing on building long term strategic partnerships and maximizing gross profit margin while leveraging our growing buying power. The Retail Purchasing Manager will be accountable for the end to end purchasing process and determining the categories to source, achieve savings, manage contract implementation and track the impact.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
Supplier Relationship Management
- Partner with the organization’s management in the evaluation and selection of vendors as well as the negotiation of purchase contracts or service level agreements to develop an overall vendor base which creates and sustains a competitive advantage.
- Negotiate payment terms and wholesale prices leveraging multi-store buying power and constantly reducing COGS
- Contact suppliers in order to resolve any issues with retail products
- Work with suppliers to access promotional products
- Evaluate and monitor supplier contracts
- Interview vendors and visit suppliers’ plants and distribution centers
Product Purchasing Process
- Collaborate with retail locations, gauging inventory level needs and overseeing sourcing, maintaining the appropriate stock levels
- Create profitable ways to manage obsolete and slow-moving stock to help offset losses
- Maintain standard operating procedures for purchasing, proposing improvements to the current purchasing system that may improve vendor relationships and lower the cost of doing business if possible.
- Ensure consistency of merchandising and branding
- Conduct frequent pricing assessments in each market to ensure competitively priced at all times
Inventory Management & KPI Accountability
- Conduct frequent ABC Analysis to identify Never out of stock SKUs and Slow-Moving SKUs, optimize Category performance, and execute SKU rationalization exercises
- Prepare weekly/monthly reports, including forecast demand, days of supply and inventory allocation.
- Build and manage a monthly open to buy for each location
- Work directly with each location to ensure accurate PAR Levels are being maintained
- Expand and maintain performance metrics including but not limited to supplier performance, fill rates, on-time delivery, supplier quality, order placement, and financial (AP) performance including sales, inventory turns, and gross margin dollars
- Maintain and review records of items bought, costs, deliveries, product performance, and inventories
Accounting & AP
- Ensure all invoices and purchase orders are properly created, received and processed
- Provide foresight into cash flow needs on a monthly basis using the open to buy
Education & Required Skills
- At least two years of experience in the CA cannabis industry
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- Proven success in vendor relationship management and COGS reduction
- At least two years of experience in retail procurement, demand management, supply chain, forecasting, or statistical modeling
- Highly proficient in Excel and Google Sheets
- Hands-on experience with a demand planning software tool and ERP systems
- Knowledge of forecasting methodologies
- Experience in data mining, analysis, and reporting (preferred)
If this sounds like the position you have been waiting for, please apply using the online application or the link below - all inquiries are strictly confidential. Our focus is to assist you to make your best next career move, and we will not use your information for any other purpose.
CannabizTeam is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. TEAM100